White Horse Morris Men were formed in the winter of 1950/51 and were originally based in the Warminster area. In 1951 they attended their first ring meeting at Oxford and were admitted to the Morris Ring of England.
As their symbol they adopted the pre-1778 Westbury White Horse, itself a survivor of prehistoric times and similar to the one carved above the hills of Uffington in Oxfordshire. The symbol formed part of the original kit with the White Horse badge central to the baldrick (crossed bands of fabric) the colours of which represented the area of Wiltshire, with green for Salisbury Plain, white for the chalk hills and blue for the sky.
Saturday 2 May, 2pm, outside The George Inn, Longbridge Deverill
Over the years White Horse Morris Men developed a reputation as an excellent side offering dances from a range of mainly Cotswold traditions. They have toured extensively in the United Kingdom as well as in Europe, notably to France and Germany. From the time of the side’s formation to the present, numbers have fluctuated and the age of the side has increased so in September 2011 it was decided to make the side mixed, thus becoming White Horse Morris, so that they can now offer mixed and single sex Border and Cotswold Morris Dances, thus allowing them to carry on their long tradition for excellent dancing.
Numbers are now flourishing and the style and energy that has always characterised White Horse has been maintained for the continuance of Morris Dancing in this area.